Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pretty Poison


As you can probably guess, "Pretty Poison" is the first appearance of Poison Ivy, another classic Batman villain. This was the fifth episode produced and ninth aired on Sept. 14, 1992.

I'll add a point for a pretty fun scene at the beginning where Harvey Dent is talking to date, Pamela Isley, about Bruce. He says things like, "Bruce runs with a high crowd," and "He gets his kicks," which are accompanied with scenes of Batman running on rooftops and kicking bad guys. I guess it's kind of cheesy, but I liked it.

The score will go to a 7 for the dynamic between Bruce and Harvey. We did see a teeny bit of Dent in the first episode, but now we get to see him as a real person and a good friend of Bruce Wayne's. This will make his transformation to Two-Face even more upsetting for Batman.

I'll also add a point for Poison Ivy. I really like this version of the character — she's crazy, deadly, has pet monster plants, and still is just a human (for the most part). I always hate it in the comics where she is more plant than human and has huge vines of ivy for her hair. That's too abstract for me. But this show did a really good job of keeping things grounded and realistic, which, in my opinion, makes for better Batman stories.

I know this is a short review, but these are only 22-minute episodes, and sometimes there just isn't much to say about them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Final score: 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment