Saturday, April 21, 2012

See No Evil


"See No Evil" was the 17th produced episode of Batman: The Animated Series, but the 56th aired on Feb. 24, 1993. This is a simple episode, but one that I found rather interesting and enjoyable.

Batman is at his best when he's fighting ordinary criminals. The challenge for the writers then becomes making ordinary fights interesting. Usually they fall for the easy fix of beefing up the bad guys by making them master assassins or super-powered freaks of nature, which is nice every now and then, but becomes tedious after a while. What I liked here, was they took a very normal criminal and gave him just a slight advantage. It was pretty interesting watching Batman figure out how to fight the invisible man — first using smoke pellets, then paint (which the suit burned off), then finally beating him with water. I also liked how they explained the suit was causing him to go mad, which can be attributed to his erratic behavior. So I'll add a point for the interesting fights that didn't have to involve the Joker or Scarecrow.

The score will go to a 7 for one of my favorite lines in the whole show. In one scene, Batman is hanging on to an invisible car that is speeding down the street, prompting a homeless man to say, "I didn't know he could fly, too!" It was funny when I was a kid, and it's still funny now.

All in all, I really don't have a lot to say about this episode. It was a simple story told well, and it had a couple of moments I enjoyed. You can't really ask for more than that.

Final score: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment